ABOUT THIS POST (For Beginners Trying to Start Coding)
Basically, I am trying to expand my technical skills and I composed this blog post as a quick-go-to-actionable step to immediately start learning basic coding skills. Big shout out to my friend Wai Wai, who invested time and energy to give me a breakdown and a rough blueprint of how I should get started.
In short, this blog post is basically a launch-page resource for me to learn more about what it takes to be a DBA and to get exposure to coding from a beginner standpoint. Hopefully it will be helpful for you also.
I am learning and the things I mentioned might not be best practices, so please let me know otherwise and give me tips and suggestions. That is greatly welcomed and appreciated!
TYPES OF DATA BASED SCIENCE JOBS
Database Administration (DBA)
A database administrator (DBA) is responsible for the performance, integrity and security of a database (maintenance of programs). They will also be involved in the planning and development of the database, as well as troubleshooting any issues on behalf of the users. [Google Search Definition]
DBAs use specialized software to store and organize data. The role may include capacity planning, installation, configuration, database design, migration, performance monitoring, security, troubleshooting, as well as backup and data recovery. [Google Search Definition]
General Understanding of DBA Role & Responsibility
From my interaction with my friend, she mentioned that while a DBA needs a fundamental understanding of the coding languages (SQL + specific industry related coding languages), a DBA is not actively coding. The majority of the work is to maintain databases and make sure the data sets and informations are clean, accurate, etc.
Database Developer (DBD)
Techpedia Definition: A database developer is an IT professional responsible for working on database technologies. Where database administrators are more focused on routine maintenance and support for an existing database setup, database developers tend to focus more on improving databases, expanding their range or functionality, or otherwise developing submissions for a company’s IT architecture.
General Understanding of DBD Role & Responsibility
In a nutshell, this role involves active coding to create program templates from scratch. Additionally, decent proficiency of other coding languages like JAVA, PL/SQL, etc would be needed to supplement the main SQL (Structure Query Language), which is used to communicate with a database. [What is SQL?]
STEPS TO START THE DATABASE SCIENCE CAREER PATH
- W3schools.com: SQL Tutorial
- Do SQL Tutorial Lessons first
- Do SQL Functions later
- Timeline: 3 days to go through everything
- Then download a book for advance learning
- Oracle SQL (Free)
- Timeline: 1 month
- After Finishing Oracle SQL learn Beginning Java
- DBA Oracle University: Expensive certification, however, it is an advantageous document to possess for employment. Potentially research how you can get this certification subsidized if any or ask your existing employer if acquiring one would make sense for you. Oracle Database 12c- Certificate
- CCSF Computer Science Courses: JAVA Certification Programming Rubric. Food for thought, I heard through the grapevine (and lots of CCSF student friends) that CCSF will be free tuition for San Francisco residents. I think this would be a great opportunity to take free technical classes.
- Lawmakers Pass CCSF Free Tuition Resolution, Send Plan To Tax Rich Homebuyers To Voters
- CCSF trustees move forward with free-tuition deal
RESOURCES (HOW TO BECOME A DBA, ETC)
TOP DATABASE COMPANIES
- Oracle DataBase